Game Dungeon Wish List

Here's a personal favourite of mine: Gruntz (1999)

A Puzzle-Stratedgy game, with a storyline, custom levels and free-play. (Has multi-player, but I've never gotten it to work).

This was actually my childhood game, which I found on Real-Arcade as a demo, and eventually convinced my parents to purchase the full copy.

Gruntz_Coverart.png

This game was developed by Monolith Productions, the same people who made Shadow of Mordor. But Gruntz was quickly forgotten after its release.

Amazingly, however, the official forum for this game is still up: http://gooroosgruntz.proboards.com/

The thing that amazes me even more is that it's being managed and paid for by an Eighty-Three year old.

As I mentioned before, this does have its own storyline in single-player, but eventually you'll run out of these levels to play. Luckily, there's a handful of people whom have made custom levels for you to play on your own. I have no idea if the editor for these levels is still available. These custom levels are also found in the forum mentioned above.

Either way, I found this game to be an enjoyable experience. One I loved as a kid. I would love for someone to look this over, I think this game has potential to be a Game Dungeon episode.

I DO have a copy of this game, however it's not patched and doesn't include the cutscenes.

Here's a personal favourite of mine: Gruntz (1999)

A Puzzle-Stratedgy game, with a storyline, custom levels and free-play. (Has multi-player, but I've never gotten it to work).

This was actually my childhood game, which I found on Real-Arcade as a demo, and eventually convinced my parents to purchase the full copy.

Gruntz_Coverart.png

This game was developed by Monolith Productions, the same people who made Shadow of Mordor. But Gruntz was quickly forgotten after its release.

Amazingly, however, the official forum for this game is still up: http://gooroosgruntz.proboards.com/

The thing that amazes me even more is that it's being managed and paid for by an Eighty-Three year old.

As I mentioned before, this does have its own storyline in single-player, but eventually you'll run out of these levels to play. Luckily, there's a handful of people whom have made custom levels for you to play on your own. I have no idea if the editor for these levels is still available. These custom levels are also found in the forum mentioned above.

Either way, I found this game to be an enjoyable experience. One I loved as a kid. I would love for someone to look this over, I think this game has potential to be a Game Dungeon episode.

I DO have a copy of this game, however it's not patched and doesn't include the cutscenes.

You mentioned Shadow of Mordor. I love seeing early games from companies that are now "the hot shit", to not put too fine a term on it. This also seems like the kind of game I could lose plenty of hours in, like I always did with the Worms series or more recently Hand of Fate.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I have plenty of ideas and I'm sure Ross is full of them anyway. ;)

Humongous Entertainment games like Pajama Sam, Spy Fox, Freddi Fish, and Putt-Putt. :)

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/42723/

LEGO Island (requires an older OS like Win XP EDIT: Or perhaps Ross could install Win95 under DOSBox?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPq3_m5MGAI)

xyqXZDyR-RA

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

@legisland: I was given a copy of this when I was a kid and I could not click the little pictures of vehicles in the 3D world to start the 'build a vehicle' scenes.

Recently I had a go at getting the game working again. Apparently this was a very common problem with the game (and I think I had to apply the same solution).

I became stuck at the end of the campaign for the skateboarding character. You have to throw pizzas from a helicopter and I always run out well before I can get the police to catch the crim. I think collision detection between the crim and the police is goofed, because they would sometimes travel very closely and not trigger the ending sequence.

Let's see if it still runs under WINE:

*runs executable*

Narrator legoman standing next to a giant spinning CD: "Wooops! You have to put the CD in your computer"

file.php?mode=view&id=1562&sid=fe25716d0d6a552fdeeffbbce7836c33

Yep still works.

nocd.png.ff56293fe1ac18a8d0598cbae7c8748e.png

The Chzo Mythos games: 5 days a stranger, 7 days a skeptic, trilby's notes, 6 days a sacrifice,

they are all relatively short, they are a mix between slasher/lovecraftian

Liberal Crime Squad

originally by Tarn Adams of Dwarf Fortress fame but maintained by others for many years now. satirical domestic terrorism.

The Castle Doctrine

break into the 'homes' of others and be broken into. trap and maze arrangement to avoid yo wife getting popped and your savings stolen.

Uplink

l337 hacking.

Mercenaries of Astonia

a sentimental favourite, an online RPG that would host players in the dozens. very tight-knit community back in its day of ~1999-2003. a player-made continuation exists today, Aranock Online.

Happy Wheels is a physics based racing game with a lot of gory twists. The courses are tricky. The racers move like actual bodies for full realism. When the player misses a turn and falls into a pit with a giant spinning spiked pole the blood and body parts fly.http://happywheelsiz.com/

I guess I'd like to see him cover something like Harvester (you always were a kidder, Steve) or Dark Seed (witty reference goes here). You know, those classic horror adventure games that haven't quite aged well but still have that strange charm about them.

I'd love it if Ross could do a Game Dungeon on Immortal Defense. Really abstract style, great writing and rather obscure, seems like the kind of stuff he'd enjoy.

24225637793135.jpg

I'd love to see the Amiga Turrican series covered on a Game Dungeon. The first two in particular were amazing, true Metroidvania before that was even a thing, let alone a term. And Chris Huelsbeck's musical score was amazing.

HGxMDxGJXuo

Failing that, Cannon Fodder. I'd also recommend the Amiga version here. War never was so much fun. :D

I have a few suggestions in the genres that Ross seems interested in, adventure games, action RPGs and puzzle games.

As far as adventure games go, I'd highly recommend Dropsy ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/274350/ ) which recently came out, very much in the vein of Lucasarts classics, reminds me a lot of Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle except with some darker subject matter that it handles in a very mature and generally positive manner. There are also two DS games that I'd highly highly recommend though of course they'd have to be emulated, "999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors" and "Ghost Trick". Much as I'd like to gush about these two, saying too much could spoil some of the enjoyment, suffice to say I think they're some of the best adventure games made in the past 20 years and they never got the attention they deserved.

As for Action RPGs, I'd highly recommend the Ys series both for its gameplay and its music. Its actually the series that created the Action RPG genre but its largely unknown in the West. The series is kind of like Zelda, most entries are standalone and many of them play drastically differently from each other. The series is best known for its excellent music (

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXHtkHlLcxQ ) and boss fights. I'd recommend starting with Oath in Felghana ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/207320/ ), its probably the best in the series. Ross mentioned in some video that he's heard of pretty much every ARPG there is but a series of Japanese PC games that weren't translated into English for years seems like the level of obscurity where he might not have heard of it.

And last but not least, Infinifactory ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/300570/ ) is my favorite puzzle game by far. If you've ever played Spacechem, its like that except in 3D without the rigid size restrictions. Huge amount of fun.

Most of these games can be acquired fairly cheap if you keep an eye out though 999 and Ghost Trick probably are just going to keep rising in price since they're out of print at this point. The latest game in 999's series is coming out on PC though so if we're lucky it'll get ported as well.

----MDK

----Planescape (come on, I know you love Morti!)

----Beavis and Butthead (I really don't remember the title of the game thought...)

----Binding of Isaac

I originally just had one request, but now I've got two requests.

The first is probably the worst game I've ever played:

EPLV1zB.png

Rallo Gump for MS-DOS.

There's pretty much no information on this game, and for good reason: it's a broken, low-framerate mess.

I got as far as the sixth "world map", and probably would have gotten farther just to see if there was an ending (as I haven't found it documented elsewhere) and probably some latent masochism, but the sixth boss is literally unbeatable for me due to the horrendous collision detection.

The world needs to know about this insult to DOS gaming.

And the second is my favorite indie game:

JH9cSZN.png

Iji, an action-platformer from 2008. I enjoyed the atmosphere and weapons, and there's plenty of little secrets to find. One of the notable things about it is that playing pacifistically or just throwing hot plasma in the face of everything that shoots at you does have an effect on the story (but not drastically), and keeping your kill counter low does give you some benefits... but it's a lot more cathartic to play it the way the game expects you to, and the final boss is one of my favorites in gaming as a whole.

Also, the soundtrack is really good.

Maybe for a three or so minute episode, he could check out Crazy Chicken Soccer. I wish I could say it was a good game, but I really do think it was programmed in Adobe Flash.

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

Red and yellow do go together.

Was Star Control II on this list? *goes to check* ...It has been mentioned only once. Alright, let's bump it.

I know I heard that Ross would like to take a break from aliens on Game Dungeon for some videos, but still:

Star_Control_II_cover.jpg

So Star Control II is about aliens. It's a shoot 'em up\exploration\story-driven adventure game. The shoot 'em up part is more in the region of "Asteroids" and "Sinistar" type of games. Oh, I also need to warn you: the game is on a time limit. You have 4,5 in-game years (or more, depending on some factors) to beat it. It's not really pressuring, though: in-game 4,5 years is quite a bit of time, but still, you need to be aware of it.

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------