Game Dungeon Wish List

I assume this is where we can post suggestions of games for ross to play. The game i wanna suggest is Gunman Chronicles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunman_Chronicles I remember playing this game when i was young and i think it had Aliens , Dinosaurs and Robots. The wiki says its based on a Quake mod that later moved to be a Half-Life mod that was made into a game by Sierra because it was popular at the time. I've never heard anyone even speak of this game and it seems its faded completely to obscurity so id be interesting to see it again.

I feel that Cryo Interactive's Dreams To Reality deserves a spotlight for the dungeon episode simply due to the fact that this game has one hell of an atmosphere while at the same time being barely known at all since it got overshadowed by Atlantis: The Lost Tale. The game got a DOS and a Windows version (Windows and GDI editions), plus a PlayStation release a year later under the name Dreams. Ross if you plan to check that game out here are things that needs to be cleared out:

- The PC version has the physics tied to the frame rate and it depends on the CPU speed. If you plan to play the Windows version you must use the software called DxWND to set up the CPU timing and the CD Audio playback because it's looking for a specific DLL file that is not present in the modern Windows. At this point it's best to use the DOS version as it doesn't take much hassle to set it up and just straight up works, i recommend using the DOSBox ECE for that matter.

- While the DOS version offers the 3DFX Glide support, it's best to avoid that and use the software mode instead. The main reason for this is because the game gets unstable in Glide Mode and graphical issues will occur such as the blinking text dialogue.

- CD is required to play the game, even if you install the Full version of the game. My guess is that it runs the game straight from your CD than from your hard disk.

- Because of that, all your options will reset besides the key bindings as they cannot be changed at all. It is recommended to set the Combat Mode to Manual instead of the default Automatic. This is because some movement features like jumping and flying gets replaced with the Punch and Kick and having it to Auto will get you into a Combat Mode immediately even if you leave from it.

- Kick your enemies, it's faster and has longer range despite dealing less damage than a punch. The bow is useful for only one part of the puzzle and your magic abilities can be cancelled anytime by pressing ESC. Magic sword is you best weapon, combined with the speed boost you are a walking death machine.

- Mid-late section of the game gets harder because of how cryptic it becomes with the puzzle. Possession ability becoming more common in use (Also you can possess only once per person)

- Entering a new section will make a new save file, you have no control over the slots nor ya can't manually save.

- Controls can be viewed anytime by holding down F10

- The Playstation version follows the same plot and settting but it is an entirely different game that feels like it was unfinished, it's the worst version by far.

Gameplay:

Edited by KayX291 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Impersonal Sky God said:

Hi, I don't know if anyone has suggested this before, but might I suggest "Anachronox" for Ross to review - its a fun, wacky game that I think he'd like.

Man, I love Anachronox so much. The amount of talent and soul put in this game is staggering.

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

On 4/8/2019 at 3:05 PM, Saucy said:

PARASITE EVE for a future Christmas episode. In Captain Zzap, Ross said he was running out of Christmas games he feels like talking about, and every year since then I've suggested Parasite Eve in the comments, but they usually get buried so I don't think he's noticed.

Ross, I know you really only do PC games on the Game Dungeon, but you might want to make an exception for this one. It's far and away the best Christmas game ever, and it honestly seems like the kind of thing you'd like a lot. It's got great atmosphere, hilariously incorrect soft science, mutating animals inspired by The Thing, unique RPG hybrid gameplay, people exploding into orange goop like in End of Evangelion, shotguns, kickass music; basically everything you could possibly want for Christmas.

I fully support this. Ross's Snow/Christmas equivalence gives him a good bit of room, but Christmas as a backdrop (as in this game and Die Hard, to name just two) might help expand things a bit for him. I remember the crafting system being kind of unique and weird in a fun way, too: body armor that healed you or protected you from status effects, modding sub-machine guns to accept grenade rounds, lots of fun.

Here's hoping he doesn't run into too many emulator issues, or Square/Sony getting all copyright-happy on him for reviewing a twenty-year-old game that, as best I can tell, they don't sell anymore and hasn't been compatible with their consoles for two generations now. Google says it works on the PS3 and PSP, but the links just take you to the PS store's front page, so it may be gone for now outside of emulators.

Speaking of emulators (though not Christmas-related), one game I'd been thinking about for a while but took a week of searching to track down the name of, hails from the NES days: Captain Skyhawk.

353248622_CaptainSkyhawk.jpg.f4db9ba844c59b505ac41aa726396dfc.jpg

Generic name notwithstanding, this is a surprisingly solid game. The basic premise is you fly a sci-fi version of the sexiest fighter of the 20th century, the F-14 Tomcat, in a war against invading aliens.

Even on the old 8-bit machines of the day, the gameplay is surprisingly solid: your fighter moves and drifts in predictable ways, debris/gibs from ground targets fly and tumble, there was little or no slowdown at any point, and while the missions were linear, they had a lot of variation. The main missions are isometric/top-down vertical shooter attack runs to blow up alien ground bases, but you also drop supplies for resistance outposts and rescue captured scientists, or you might be shooting down alien fighters and blowing up enemy space stations in more of a chase-camera mode. In the main missions, your maneuverability is also not just limited to front-back-left-right: you can also change your speed/altitude to deal with different targets, which so far as I know is unique in top-down vertical shooters. Also, a bit like Tyrian, you have the option at certain points to upgrade your fighter a bit: you can load up with missiles and bombs that can be consumed during missions, or improve the cannon, which is your basic infinite-ammo default weapon. Or both, if you're really good at blowing up aliens and rack up the score.

864103056_CaptainSkyhawktagline.gif.df14c2ad12611115cc7ee9f75bb1265e.gif

The only criticisms I have are that the terrain is a basic type of 3D polygonal grid, a bit like Test Drive 3 - but as Ross observed, that sort of interpretive scenery isn't a bad thing. It's just... Well, not what a lot of gamers are looking for today.

The other is that it has next to no music. The tracks it has aren't bad, in a minimalist 8-bit way, but not every level has them, and the noise of your cannon and the high-pitched drone of those big GE jet engines are going to be your soundtrack for most of the game. It's a bit disappointing, but if it comes down to a tradeoff between solid fast-paced gameplay and having lots of music, then I think the studio made the right choice.

Edited by Pops1918 (see edit history)

On 11/1/2019 at 12:36 AM, am1 said:

I'd love to see Ross play The Day The World Broke, as he's the only youtuber I can think of who'd be able to preserve it properly! It's a game from my childhood that still holds up whenever I can get my copy running again, and while it has a few stinkers for bugs that (of course) can break the game completely, it's short enough that once you know the steps a playthrough can go fast. There's a great cast of characters and it's a good story.

Cheers!

(Also, it's on brand.)

hqdefault (1).jpg

I'm going to second this, I think Ross would dig it. There's like one playthrough of it on youtube now and they got through it pretty quickly, about 5 hours. The gameplay and puzzles are lacking but the art, atmosphere, and vision are all there- it seems like playing it on a Win 95 is the way to go to avoid some of the problems.

Here's something of mild interest:

BLOOD AND BACON.

spacer.png

A horde-based FPS where your enemies are pigs, the arena is a farm and there is SO MUCH BLOOD.

Also, it's cheap. About $1 USD for 101 stages, 2-4 player co-op, additional game modes (including a space station sim, for some reason?) and regular updates. Yes, even after its initial release in 2013 on XBLA it's still getting updates, the developer even occasionally runs servers where you can play with him!

There are some downsides, though. After stage 35-40 the game starts to get a bit repetitive. It's a slog to get through at points and it's a bit boring when you're not playing co-op. The graphics look like they're from a budget release from 2001 and the sound quality kinda blows, especially the voice acting which sounds like it was recorded on a $2 microphone from a corner store.

But it's $1, made by 1 guy and it's fun most of the time. If you're in need of a game for a LAN party,  this is a good bet.

The Horde

I consider this one an ancestor of the "hero defense" and "tower defenses" genre, and a interesting choice for the show. This game is about Chauncey, a young servant with no family (he was raised by wild cows) that's rewared with a plot of land after saving his king from choking himself to death at the banquet. However, his land is constantly under siege by the Horde, which his a mob of red monsters that wants to eat anything in it's path.

The objective of the game is to earn money to pay the taxes, while also defending your lands from the hordlings. The combat phase is in real time, and you need to rely on traps and other means to help you since they can come from all directions, and they can be too numerous for you to fight alone. (not until they deal a lot of destruction first at least)

Also, this game came originally for the 3DO. And the intro cutscene has better quality on that system:

Unlike the PC version, where they botched it:

On 11/2/2020 at 5:40 AM, KayX291 said:

I feel that Cryo Interactive's Dreams To Reality deserves a spotlight for the dungeon episode simply due to the fact that this game has one hell of an atmosphere while at the same time being barely known at all since it got overshadowed by Atlantis: The Lost Tale. The game got a DOS and a Windows version (Windows and GDI editions), plus a PlayStation release a year later under the name Dreams. Ross if you plan to check that game out here are things that needs to be cleared out:

- The PC version has the physics tied to the frame rate and it depends on the CPU speed. If you plan to play the Windows version you must use the software called DxWND to set up the CPU timing and the CD Audio playback because it's looking for a specific DLL file that is not present in the modern Windows. At this point it's best to use the DOS version as it doesn't take much hassle to set it up and just straight up works, i recommend using the DOSBox ECE for that matter.

- While the DOS version offers the 3DFX Glide support, it's best to avoid that and use the software mode instead. The main reason for this is because the game gets unstable in Glide Mode and graphical issues will occur such as the blinking text dialogue.

- CD is required to play the game, even if you install the Full version of the game. My guess is that it runs the game straight from your CD than from your hard disk.

- Because of that, all your options will reset besides the key bindings as they cannot be changed at all. It is recommended to set the Combat Mode to Manual instead of the default Automatic. This is because some movement features like jumping and flying gets replaced with the Punch and Kick and having it to Auto will get you into a Combat Mode immediately even if you leave from it.

- Kick your enemies, it's faster and has longer range despite dealing less damage than a punch. The bow is useful for only one part of the puzzle and your magic abilities can be cancelled anytime by pressing ESC. Magic sword is you best weapon, combined with the speed boost you are a walking death machine.

- Mid-late section of the game gets harder because of how cryptic it becomes with the puzzle. Possession ability becoming more common in use (Also you can possess only once per person)

- Entering a new section will make a new save file, you have no control over the slots nor ya can't manually save.

- Controls can be viewed anytime by holding down F10

- The Playstation version follows the same plot and settting but it is an entirely different game that feels like it was unfinished, it's the worst version by far.

Gameplay:

Since I'm playing this right now, I'm gonna +1 this too. It's janky as hell and might be troublesome to get running on modern computers. It has a DOS version, a 3DFX version, and a Windows 95 version all on the same installation disc. DxWnd will work for what I think is the 3DFX version (gdidream.exe), and the other version (windream.exe, so Windows presumably) seems to run without issue. However I can't seem to force anti-aliasing or anything on windream.exe (haven't tried gdidream.exe), so I guess you could liken it to emulation -- windream.exe is the "software" mode and will have all the aliased edges, etc. of the time, and maybe gdidream.exe is the one you can try to force anti-aliasing on.

If you do try to run gdidream.exe's version though, it's more buggy and unstable. The game will run so fast that you will die upon landing since the game calculates damage based on momentum from flying. Here's a DxWnd setup thread on it (the configs also comes included with the installation I think).

https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/general/thread/a2ddabcd22/?page=5

dgVooDoo also works (x86) for windream.exe, but I'm not sure if it's required. You can find the game on Archive.org (another little game EA left to the sands of time).

I haven't tried it with DOSBox, might get that setup later.

Gorky 17, Broken Sword, Neverwinter Nights, Blood II: The Chosen,  Gothic, Deathtrap Dungeon

I think some of these would make for a great episode.

245010_screenshots_20201009155835_1.jpg

5 hours ago, Memox said:

Deathtrap Dungeon

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

Steel Empire

This game might be of interest to Ross, if not for a episode, at least it could end up in Ross's Game List.

This is a side-scroller shooter with a steampunk aesthetic, and the reason that I said that this game might interest Ross is because, just like Tyrian 2000, you don't die in ONE hit. Not only that, but the powerup to your main weapons is persistent even if you die (you power it up by collecting 3 "P" letters). You have a choice of two airships: One is faster and drop bombs while shooting (good against ground targets), and the other is a Zeppelin that has more hitpoints (and a slightly bigger hitbox).

Also, this game is Japanese. Just to show that not every developer from the land of the rising sun creates a shooter based on a paper plane against a kaleidoscope of bullets. And also, this game is a remake, it was originally for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive. (and this version I've played a lot)

Aerannis, a game that was in the 1000+ games racial justice Itch.io bundle from last year and ended up in Ross's "maybe" pile when he sifted through that, so he might actually get to it eventually... ?‍♀️ I think it's pretty remarkable nonetheless.

It's a stealth/action metroidvania with a personality, accentuated by great pixel art and an awesome synth soundtrack, but also with a lot of design quirks and idiosyncrasies that make me wonder if the developer maybe hasn't played too many games. The button configuration and overall controls are confusing, your weapons are mostly useless, a lot of the gameplay revolves around stealth puzzles that feel quite sloppy and ad hoc in how you're supposed to solve them, and the story cruises from one insane plot twist to the next without ever really making sense of all that's going on, but the game somehow still manages to feel compelling all the way through. I mean, I am biased since it's about a trans girl cyborg in a cyberpunk dystopia but I do have standards and I found this totally rewarding despite the frequent frustration and bewilderment; pretty much the best I could hope for from a virtually unknown indie game.

Kohan series

There's 2 games, well, 3 if you count the fact that the first game expansion, Ahriman's Gift, is a standalone one. But they are RTS games that I don't see any other RTS copy much of it.

I'm saying that because of how the game works. Instead of recruiting units, you create a company that's basically a collection of units, having at minimum a frontline of 4 basic units of the same type (could be infantry, archers...), but you can create bigger companies with additional 2 support units that range from healers, mages, tougher warriors like paladins, summoners that conjure temporary units, or even other basic units (but only in the first game), and a rearline of 2 basic units. (but this only in the second game)

Company structure can be very important. It's creation is instantaneous, but you only have it's captain, that's usually a generic unit without any noteworthy skills, ready to go. It may need to wait near one of your cities/forts to fill/refill/heal it's ranks, so the shorter the company, the faster it will be at full capacity. Also, certain basic/support units can give a bonus to the whole company (like more defense or vision range) as long as you have at least one alive, and while you can have cavalry and infantry in the same company, it's regular speed will always be equal to the slowest unit. Some things to keep in mind when creating companies, aside from upkeep and formation.

Speaking of upkeep, economy and resources works differently in this game. You have five: Gold, Stone, Wood, Iron, and Khaldunite (which are magic crystals). Gold is the only resource that stockpiles, and you spend it a lot in buildings and companies. The other resources act as a sort of cap/limit of upkeep for certain individual units (for example: archers require wood, and the more mystical units require khaldunite), and you can recruit units even when you don't have these resources, BUT doing so will affect negatively your gold income depending of the resource, and trust me, having a negative gold income is a slow death to your army. (literally, your units will start to slowly lose health if you have zero gold and a negative income)

Building is a little different for a RTS because it's closer to a 4X game. You just have a city that has a passive gold income with many slots for buildings to generate more gold and/or other resources and allow certains units/companies to be created, and it can also spawn militia to defend itself. You can also create pioneers to build new cities.

Also we have the Kohans, which are the hero units of this game. They can replace the generic captain and they range from warriors to spell casters, and they can grow stronger. They can be revived if they are killed, but they will lose all the XP they gained.

The story is meh though. It's your typical good vs evil fantasy story where you face evil Kohan (the Ceyah, as they are called) that commands armies of undead and demons (and also some mercenaries). The second game I can say they try to spice things up a little, they even have one of the evil Kohans from the previous game going to the heroes side (although he behaves for the most part like a huge edgelord, but I've seen worse), but even so I felt the plot was a missed opportunity. But I want Ross to judge that part for himself.

Edited by Kaiosama TLJ (see edit history)

image.png.e63744f3845a20b895e13916ebd24fe3.png

Siege of Avalon by digital tome, is an obscure baldur's gate knockoff that I found to be a very entertaining game. gameplay is kinda meh. but the setting I found to be downright inspired and something that isn't really done enough. The game is a the fortress of Avalon is under siege and you're helping to defend it. also it may also give you that sort of "diablo feel" that u hope to find from other games like clans (though this one is leagues better then that one)

it's recently been added to gog and steam. which got rid of a bunch of bugs, including one that made u invincible if you pushed a certain key.

Also, I would love to see what you could dig up about the now defunct publishers Digital tome because as far as I know this is the only game they made

image.png

Edited by snes4life (see edit history)