Game Dungeon Wish List

Got some interesting point-and-click games from 'STRAYA!

The Adventures of Down Under Dan

spacer.pngspacer.png

Dan is a down-on-his-luck... adventurer? Opal miner? Survivalist? Either way, Dan is flying a plane to a town full of opals when he suddenly hits the world's only flying emu! He jumps out of the plane, gets his parachute stuck in a tree... and then proceeds to fall 3 feet and lose his memory.

Most of the puzzles are REALLY weird. One requires you to wait 30 seconds in a river until a stick comes along. If you miss the stick, you get eaten by a crocodile. If you get out of the river before grabbing the stick, you get your foot stuck in a dingo trap and you can't get out. It's full of cheap FMV goodness and is a surprisingly accurate rendition of outback Australian culture.

Trev to The Rescue!

(also known as Trev's Excellent Adventure: Problem Solving and Logical Thinking)

spacer.png

Want more FMV? More atrocious acting? More weirdness? Trev to The Rescue is your answer!

This is by the same developers as Down Under Dan and WOW, is it strange. Your younger brother, Dan, has accidentally eaten some poisonous berries and is deathly ill! The medical services won't come anywhere near your house because of your insane dad and your mum has to look after Dan. It's up to you to try and save your brother via awful FMV and sometimes very illogical puzzles. This game is so obscure, I couldn't even find it's box art!

It does have a hint system, although it affects your end-of-game rating (try to get "Super Trev" on your first playthrough if you want to suffer!)

The Sydney Mystery

spacer.pngspacer.png

Oh boy, this is probably the worst game in this list. Your uncle has been kidnapped and your main character can't figure out the number for 000, it's up to you to figure out where your uncle is. Additionally, there's been terrorists bombing the landmarks of Sydney, including the Opera House! Oh noooooooooooooooooo!!! Can YOU solve the Sydney Mystery?

This game is, to put it lightly, shit. The story is half-baked, the graphics look like someone's first photoshop job, the FMV is awful (including moments where the boom mic is visible and intense wind blows out the audio!) and the acting matches the quality. The music sounds like a Casio keyboard having a stroke during open heart surgery and the voiceover of the main character is so bland and uninspired I wanted the game to end within 5 minutes of watching a video of it. At the very least, it gave us one of the best "so-bad-it's-good" cutscenes ever. (which I won't post here because it's a major spoiler, but you'll know it when you see it. Hint: The only word in it is "doonk!")

Also, in one specific moment you can see the camera they used to record the FMV charging on a couch.

Most of these games, as far as I can tell, are abandonware and can be downloaded on Archive.org. The Sydney Mystery is the only exception. The only download I was able to find was from a Youtube playthrough.

Down Under Dan is probably the longest and most well known, spanning about 3 hours of gameplay if you know what you're doing. Trev to The Rescue is a bit shorter, coming in at 2 1/2 hours. Finally, The Sydney Mystery is the shortest, spanning only 1 to 1 1/2 hour.

Posted (edited)

Soulbringer is a good suggestion. It's heavy on (non-party) combat, but it does care about its story. The latter isn't anything to write home about, but the game has a particular, unique feel to it. Not least because of the dark snowy wasteland early on and the interesting exploration around there when the story is still mostly a mystery, but also since the combat system is a bit unusual. Later on magic is added and it is another aspect of the game which is fairly interesting. Basically, your character can only be good at one element at the expense of the others. I'd recommend it just for how unique it felt to me as I was playing through it some years ago. A warning though: I had issues with the game running too slowly which only was fixed once i switched to a different Direct-X renderer (gog-version).

Other than that, it also seemed like a good idea to point out Dawn of Magic, which was made by the russian company Skyfallen Entertainment. It's a Diablo-like, though one which doesn't have a class-system, but rather a spell-combo system. In some ways it's fairly similar to other ARPGs, but certain things like the character building system are handled a bit differently. Same goes for the large maps and large cities. Good music, though the story is - again - nothing to write home about. It's not available on the digital services for some reason. Dawn of Magic 2 is, but that one is just a shorter stand-alone expansion that is lacking in comparison. Simply get a used copy off of amazon if need be.

And third, another Diablo-like: Restricted Area, by a german company. Another case where you would have to get a used copy from somewhere. It takes place in a postapocalyptic scenario mixed in with a dose of cyberpunk. However, the world only consists of basically one street and randomly generated maps. Some good music and overall ok atmosphere I'd say. Try it if you are interested in mixing guns, cyberware and bioware (but also swords in one case) into the usual formula. The story in this case is kind of painful at times, but it varies somewhat based on the chosen character.

Edit: I just remembered that the most recent patch for Restricted Area was giving me trouble with mini freezes during inventory interaction. Once I went back one patch the problem disappeared.

And another thing: Perhaps somebody has played Abomination - The Nemesis Project more extensively than me and can comment on it. I only played the demo many, many years ago, so I can't say much about it, but it always looked fairly interesting. Group-based tactics in real time or something like that.

Edited by BurningSheep (see edit history)

The "Cowboy" suggestion:

It has been suggested before, but i wanted to affirm this:

"Outlaws" by LucasArts, 1997 - It's not really obscure, but the music, man!!!!

"Redneck Rampage" by Xatrix Entertainment, 1997 ...not exactly about cowboys...but....its from the same year! maybe a double feature/comparison episode?

Then, i recently stumbled over a pretty obscure game, where you play partly as a cowboy, who is kind of to old for this shit.

It's called "Red dead redemption 2" by Rockstar Studios, 2019

I know, i know....but just think about it, for a moment! Close your eyes and imagine a full lenght GD episode on it! No "cop out" "april fools" short.

Wouldn't that be the most crazy thing ever? Wouldn't you want to see it? You know, you do!

C'mon, Ross! Are you a Mexican or a Mexican't? Wouldn't that be a new kind of challenge? ......Just daydreaming......but.......you know, what i mean......?

(of course, it is against everything, the format is about and it would only take 3-5 lifedestroying years to make, not speaking of the copyright nightmare....but....ahhhhh....i like the idea!)

The "Non-Cowboy" suggestion:        

"TIS-100" by Zachtronics Industries, 2015 -

From the Steampage: "It’s the assembly language programming game you never asked for!". 

I don't know sh*t about assembly language programming and i am BAD at math!

BUT, after the mathewmatosis video on it, i spent the 6 bucks...to kind of troll myself....and...after some help from some nice yt guys, who are actual geniuses.....ITS FUN!!! It has a story! What they did with the manual is also great, or, at least exeptional! 

I want to close, with my favorite steam review ever (.....ok, its for SHENZHEN I/O, the direct successor from the same dev, but its a very similar game, just WITH graphics and on crack! written by mapadj, translated from german by me: "I earn 80 € net per hour to code microcontrollers. If you are up for this ****, go for it!". (recommends the game)           

Would love to see coverage of either Jet Grind Radio or Jet Set Radio. Enormously unique style in those games.

And when on earth will we ever see a rerelease or sequel to Jet Set Radio Future (xbox)?