Vent

I agree that a certain class of liberal, especially Tumblr's community, tend to be haunted by the potential of bigotry even when it isn't present.

Very well put! It's easy to interpret pretty much anything from pretty much everything.

But aye, your gender/ethnicity/race/nationality has no bearing on whether or not you're an arsehole. The whole Kardashian franchise/family/whatever is pretty much the worst social role model there is at the moment. I guess you could say Caitlin is a figure for the trans community to relate to within this Kardashian bubble, and as such is a role model for trans women on the same level as Kim is for cis women and Kanye for cis men. That is: a really bad role model for general humanity.

As for Third-wave and SJWs: the problem, I feel, is that the internet and social media has boiled down their cause to a series of buzzwords that are increasingly hollow, because for the most part, shock-tactics don't work. I don't know what is serious or parody anymore, and this not only smears their reputation, but also distracts from the genuine issues that need to be addressed. The whole feminist movement suffers, giving the impression of being unfocused and splintered - and at its worst, misandrist. And feminism is not misandrist, far from it. It wants equality, not supremacy.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Tell the users on Witchwind that last one. They'll throw your dick in a garbage disposal and cheer. (They seriously cheered a woman who did that to her husband because she *suspected* infidelity.) Or they'll call you a rapist, if you are't a virgin, as to them all sex is rape. (Once again, not kidding. That's also a thing they believe.)

I get that they're extremists, but they infiltrated and infected the entire feminist movement, poisoning it from the inside out. Now we have women like Big Red, who have never been on any of the female supremacy sites but share many of their stances and all of their completely unreasonable aggression because some of her "feminist" friends were actually misandrist extremists using the "feminist" title as a shield.

It is very hard to find feminists not poisoned by those kinds of people. I sure can't find any. And that is one of many massive flaws with the third wave.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

The stupid thing is that I thought I WAS wording it very delibrately, and I wasn't even on Tumblr. I was on an IRC, I said they rolled in from Tumblr as an insult.

Caitlyn Jenner is Bruce Jenner from The Kardashians. And no, they're not worth knowing about. And they're a horrible person, but Tumblr decided they were the messiah because they're a celebrity that went trans-gender publicly, and they think that was brave. Truth is, it's extra publicity for Caitlyn (not saying it was a publicity stunt) and she's so far removed from negative consequences as a safe spacer that she risked fuck all by coming out.

And even if it was brave, that doesn't make her a good person. It doesn't make up for how horrible she is, and especially doesn't make up for how badly she treats other trans women, telling them they need to look more feminine, because they're "making people uncomfortable". She doesn't get that not everybody HAS HER FUCKING MONEY, so not everybody can afford all her surgeries, beauty products and fancy clothes, and she's admonishing other trans women for not looking feminine enough when they can't afford it. That's the context this conversation arose in. People were talking about how fucked up it was that she was acting so horribly to other trans women who consider her a role model, my comment should have been clear. It not only not an attack on trans women, but it was in response to an ACTUAL attack on trans women from the individual in question. But the moment I said it, every Tumblr "feminist" lurking in the background jumped down my throat.

Did I mention I was the only CIS male in the chat? Yeah, no fucking coincidence I'm the only one they decided doesn't have the right to an opinion. Because these third-wave "feminists" aren't real feminists, they're misandrists in disguise. A paper-thin disguise that they half the time forget to even wear.

It's an abject lesson in attempting to find worthwhile debate in the sphere of unfathomably idiotic Z-lister. Anything critical levelled at someone as morally unjustifiable as the Karashians will invariably bring a slew of hostile responses from what are, naturally, the lowest common denominator in a given demographic. By the logic of Tumblrites your personal feelings towards Caitlyn Janner aren't merely a subjective disliking of an individuals conduct (on your part, irrespective of gender or sexuality) but a broad assault on what they take to be a transgender community that they are themselves probably only nominally a part of.

As a person of feminist inclinations I always worry about the term "third-wave feminist", because I'd hate to see it misused. In your case and in other sane peoples cases, I know it's meant as a way of differentiating the pseudofeminist drum pounders from the more traditional or critically minded voices in feminism. However I fear that any woman who cites a feminist allegiance or context will immediately be labelled a misandrist by the fedora wearing Men's Rights activists that could never gain ground anywhere outside of the internet, because of the conduct of the aforementioned crowd of S.C.U.M. wannabes. I worry about the literary work of writers like Angela Carter, Nina Power, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Cordelia Fine and even some of the commentary of Claire Bishop instills in her essays about art being dismissed wholesale because they are effectively women writing about women.

I think we also return to a cultural problem that was brought up in Meelis13's thread Why do people get so defensive about music? If you replace the target subject of music with anything else, both as trivial as a franchise/hobby or as profoundly important as ideology and politics you're bound to find some vocal minority who haven't grasped the full multifaceted complexity of the very thing they claim to identify with. In terms of their behaviour and the cross-of-deep-seated-inadequacy-in-common that they bear, the Tumblr SJW crowd isn't fundamentally different from homophobic branches of religious fundamentalists, or the kind of shirtless English Defence League guys you see in my country with St. Georges flag tattooed on the back of their heads.

You mentioned being CIS male, I'm embarrassed to confess that I still don't entirely understand what cisexuality/cisexism is, even after endeavouring to engage in some cursory research into it. Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly differentiates a cisexual from a heterosexual? Assuming there is some division to take note of. Is the former somehow a more deliberate identification with binary gender mores and the latter supposedly a more incidental psychosocial thing? I get the impression that's how cisexuals mark themselves apart from other sexual orientations, but I'm not sure that I'm sure, if you catch my drift.

Very well put! It's easy to interpret pretty much anything from pretty much everything.

But aye, your gender/ethnicity/race/nationality has no bearing on whether or not you're an arsehole. The whole Kardashian franchise/family/whatever is pretty much the worst social role model there is at the moment. I guess you could say Caitlin is a figure for the trans community to relate to within this Kardashian bubble, and as such is a role model for trans women on the same level as Kim is for cis women and Kanye for cis men. That is: a really bad role model for general humanity.

As for Third-wave and SJWs: the problem, I feel, is that the internet and social media has boiled down their cause to a series of buzzwords that are increasingly hollow, because for the most part, shock-tactics don't work. I don't know what is serious or parody anymore, and this not only smears their reputation, but also distracts from the genuine issues that need to be addressed. The whole feminist movement suffers, giving the impression of being unfocused and splintered - and at its worst, misandrist. And feminism is not misandrist, far from it. It wants equality, not supremacy.

Thanks mate! I'm certainly wouldn't want to come across as someone sympathetic to transphobes, but when one of the most public transgender figures in one of the worlds most powerful and influential nations is apparently a horrid person, it basically plays right into the worst stereotypes that the bigots clamour for. Your comments regarding feminism give me hope that not everyone is blind to the marked differences between ad-hoc "feminists" that the neck bearded civil movement takes to be all feminists, and the actual feminists who eloquently argue for genuine equality and rightly subject gender identity to scrutiny.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

You mentioned being CIS male, I'm embarrassed to confess that I still don't entirely understand what cisexuality/cisexism is, even after endeavouring to engage in some cursory research into it. Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly differentiates a cisexual from a heterosexual? Assuming there is some division to take note of. Is the former somehow a more deliberate identification with binary gender mores and the latter supposedly a more incidental psychosocial thing? I get the impression that's how cisexuals mark themselves apart from other sexual orientations, but I'm not sure that I'm sure, if you catch my drift.

Cissexual from what I can tell is the same as cisgender which is identifying with the body you where born with.

Retired Forum Moderator

Cissexual from what I can tell is the same as cisgender which is identifying with the body you where born with.

I'm still not certain how this differs fundamentally from heterosexuality though. From the way you described it, it seems like cisgender simply describes a personal emotional response to one's physical gender, in a sense the opposite of yet intrinsically linked to the emotional response experienced by transgender individuals towards their own bodies. Is it correct to say that cisexism is simply what might otherwise be described as heterophobia?

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

So Cisgender is identifying as a gender matching the sex they were born with (in the idea that sex/gender are 2 different things. Sex being physical, gender being psychological). As opposed to transgender where you identify as a gender contrary to your physical sex. (male in body, female in mind, for example.)

A cisgender can be any sexuality since it's independent of sex. For example, a gay cisgender is entirely possible because it's simple a man who identifies as a man who's also attracted to other men. I can see why putting "cissexual" can be confusing, especially when from what I could find looking it up, both a cissexual and cisgender are pretty much the same. Unless I'm mistaken then I'm not sure myself what cissexual can even mean.

This is why I really hate the amount of terminology and labels out there. I realize it's important to some to give it a name but I wish more would realize it doesn't need one to be real.

Retired Forum Moderator

So Cisgender is identifying as a gender matching the sex they were born with (in the idea that sex/gender are 2 different things. Sex being physical, gender being psychological). As opposed to transgender where you identify as a gender contrary to your physical sex. (male in body, female in mind, for example.)

A cisgender can be any sexuality since it's independent of sex. For example, a gay cisgender is entirely possible because it's simple a man who identifies as a man who's also attracted to other men. I can see why putting "cissexual" can be confusing, especially when from what I could find looking it up, both a cissexual and cisgender are pretty much the same. Unless I'm mistaken then I'm not sure myself what cissexual can even mean.

This is why I really hate the amount of terminology and labels out there. I realize it's important to some to give it a name but I wish more would realize it doesn't need one to be real.

Oh! See I have a moderate understanding of the complexities and degree of separation between gender and sexuality, the idea that the former is more of a biological determination and the latter is increasingly argued to be a psychosocial construction, one that ties in with how a person develops a relationship to their cultural context. In a sense the terms cisgender and cisexuality are effectively convenient labels, additions to an already complex and multilayered spectrum of sexual preference.

Thanks Rarity, you might not be aware of it but this summary helped me understand what this terminology actually meant. For a few years I've been rather annoyed with myself for not being able to fully grasp a concept that plenty of other less critically-minded folk tossed about with wild abandon. I wasn't certain if it was some "social justice" invention or a legit academic theme that has been unfortunately hijacked by people who ought to know better. Again, thanks for taking the time to clarify it for me :mrgreen:

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

All these labels are really confusing, and from what I can tell, they really started to crop up a year ago really. Honestly, I try and avoid the whole thing myself, cause of my views, and where I come from. I know what I believe in, and unless I was able to word it right, people would tell me how wrong I am, and we would go back and forth, blah blah blah 'be more open minded' blah blah blah 'one sided argument' and other shit, and all I want is for an understanding. On a side note, you can give me whatever label you want, in the end, it doesn't really matter. I might try and refute it at the moment or justify my reasons, or do something else (again at the moment) but in the end, I really don't care.

All that aside, here's my vent:

I really hate the term/saying 'git gud'.

Person A: "Hey I'm looking for help on this very difficult boss/part of the game, any suggestions?"

Person B: "git gud'

Yep, thanks for that. Yeah, real helpful. How bout a 'fuck you' next time? Is it really so much to ask for a proper guide? a proper tip? I mean sometimes there is no walkthrough*, so bare boned, there might as well not have a walkthrough*, or they're explaining shit that you have no clue what they're talking about (especially in boss fights) because you don't have the same equipment/party members as they do.

Is it so much to ask for a general walkthrough that would work for most to all play styles? When I use a guide, or look online for help, outside of Gamefaqs, I'm looking for help on a specific part, and not be using the same strategy as you. This leads me to my next vent (get two vents for the price of two!)

I really hate it when bosses, especially story bosses, require a very specific strategy which, if not followed, may lead you to a very simple, and extremely painful, game over sequence. It's even worse when the boss takes a few hours to beat *cough*Yiazmat*cough* or, even with the proper/right setup/strategy, the boss's RNG decides to screw you over *cough*Ozma*cough*.

*Do note, I don't need help in this game, I'm just using it as an example (as poor as it might be).

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

@Psychotic Ninja: Oh my gosh, I know how you feel. It's the most stupid thing anyone can ever say. Like, I was having difficulties with a game, always have, and the moment I die in that one scenario (like, the fourth time I died really) I go; "How do I do this!?"

"Git gud." says the person who is way better at it than me and knows what he's doing. Like, excuse me? Wow. That was rude! Why don't you HELP!?

EDIT/OT: I absolutely hate spoiled little brats. My ex wants money from me, meanwhile he literally gets $300 a month for being disabled, and both of his parents work rich jobs, so he can literally ask for a Xbox and receive it in an instant. He's asking me for money... little me who works one shift per week, has to pay for my own credit and food, and who lives in a house with a single mother working an underpaid job. WHAT THE FUCK? He gets $1000 for his birthday every year, and I'm lucky to get $20. I'm rich if I find $10 on the sidewalk. I'm rich if I am able to work two shifts per week. He doesn't work, he doesn't deserve anything, but he gets all of it. I'm so fucking frustrated.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Ah, Jeb, I hope you are not thinking of giving him a penny, love.

If he asks again - tell him to call me, please...

Regards

I'm slightly afraid of what you'll tell the poor disturbed bloke though if I do have him call you. :P And I don't even know if he's going to understand that adorable accent of yours~ <3 I'll be honest, it took me a little while to get used to your accent and figure out what you were saying. :P But now that I do understand, it's absolutely gorgeous! I love Russian accents. Hehe.

SNEAKERS! :D

ANYWAY, that was all really off topic! XD

I'm not going to give him anything... little snot bag doesn't deserve a cent. :)

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Awww :oops:

But, heh, yeah, you know what I'd say to him...

But if the matter's closed like that - sure, there is no need.

Regards

My hatred for my own species only intensifies more and more with each passing day. I hate almost everyone else at this point. I am revolted by all kinds of people, the strange, the normal, and everything in between. Sometimes I wish I was completely alone in the world.

@ThePest179 I was wondering did you happen to get my reply to you on this vent thread before it got buried? I was talking about how I went through a similar situation as you did and I refined my hatred into writing essays about the things I hate and why I hate them. It might not be your thing but it certainly helped me when it felt like I couldn't do anything. If you didn't and can't find it I could edit it in this post if you like. :D

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

@ThePest179 I was wondering did you happen to get my reply to you on this vent thread before it got buried? I was talking about how I went through a similar situation as you did and I refined my hatred into writing essays about the things I hate and why I hate them. It might not be your thing but it certainly helped me when it felt like I couldn't do anything. If you didn't and can't find it I could edit it in this post if you like. :D

In truth I did see your post. I wonder if writing will help me cope, however the only writing material that comes to mind is incredibly violent, and in any case I never really considered myself much of a writer.

We can continue through PMs if you want.

In truth I did see your post. I wonder if writing will help me cope, however the only writing material that comes to mind is incredibly violent, and in any case I never really considered myself much of a writer.

We can continue through PMs if you want.

Sure that would be fine, I can think of couple methods that I've used for coping. Give me sometime to compose my thoughts and I'll send a PM your way.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

I'm a senior member of the school robotics team. This year, last year and the year before, I near single-handedly built the robot used for the main competition event (it performed decently well) we participate in. It's a pretty proud moment for me to know that I can accomplish so much in this specific regard. I've gained quite a reputation because of this, I frequently 'mentor' other students and can pretty much help them with anything. They call me Tony Stark. Again, this is great. But what I want in addition to this is an equal in my field to work beside. Someone who doesn't look up to me, but looks horizontally. So far, little success. It's a fairly large school, surely someone there besides me has 'the knack', right? In my school, I'm an anomaly. I love it, and I hate it. Well, at least I'm in no danger of being evicted from my throne; and my sentry gun isn't even activated!

And not only that, our Robotics club is dying. Limited funds, limited volunteer interest and extremely limited student interest are an ever-present counter to our growth and success. I can say for sure that without my presence, or the addition of someone like me, we would collapse. Many other schools of comparable population and funding have personnel, and equipment in quantity and quality that we can't hold a candle to. Some teams like this are even younger than we are. We are being held back by a waning interest in robotics and technology in the student and teacher body.

Goddamn, even most of the people who want to be engineers can't even show up. They either 'don't have the time to break from studying', or they only see engineering as a way to convert their high math marks into high salaries. Even outside of the robotics team, I see this in the technological design and robotics tech classes. No one wants to build anything.

I see everything.

^ That reminds me a lot of my old high school, when my sister was there. Back then, you would do 'Technology' in 1st and 2nd year. For 3rd and 4th year, you could choose to do 'Graphic Communication', 'Craft & Design', or 'Technological Studies'. My sister did Tech Studs, and she says it's the one exam she'd happily do again for the hell of it.

It was likely nothing compared to your robotics department, but she worked with electronics and basic programming (getting a buzzer to play Jingle Bells at xmas time, she once told me).

If I recall, her year was the final year Tech Studs was taught, essentially due to a lack of teachers (not helped by living on an island with rather high house prices). I think the subject was dropped over the whole of Scotland after that exam period. I was gutted I couldn't take it - it sounded really cool and interesting. Thinking about it now, that was around the time my school started going downhill. Man, I could probably make a vent on my whole time at that place.

One thing's for sure, though: we need more engineers, scientists, inventors and innovators. And teachers to inspire a train kids with potential. I consider advances in science to be a priority for the world.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Fuck Youtube, fuck their automatic system. TeamFourStar (the people behind Dragonball Z Abridged, Ultimate Hellsing Abridged, and others) just got taken down. From what I can tell, while in the middle of streaming.

#WTFU

#FuckYoutube

Edit: They got their channel back. Still complete bullshit that it happened in the first place.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Fuck Youtube, fuck their automatic system. TeamFourStar (the people behind Dragonball Z Abridged, Ultimate Hellsing Abridged, and others) just got taken down. From what I can tell, while in the middle of streaming.

#WTFU

#FuckYoutube

Edit: They got their channel back. Still complete bullshit that it happened in the first place.

You need to be raging at the laws that necessitate the takedown method, not the company that is pumping millions of dollars into trying to get it fixed so this sort of thing doesn't continue to happen.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.