Battle of the Minds

After playing Portal 2, I decided to re-watch Chell's Mind, but with this image in my head:

Chell_p2_portrait.jpg

Suddenly, the series made a lot more sense.

"Am I a hero? Eh, I don't know... I don't think it's heroic if the only person you're saving is yourself."

- Gordon Freeman

I tried out Chell's Mind. It was awful. Like, well, frankly, ever other mind series.

See, the reason Freeman's Mind does so well is that it's not just Ross commenting as he goes. He scripts it out, he sets things up as a film, and generally puts professional level work into it. Everyone else just cracks jokes as they go. That's LPing, dumbasses.

I am a lady, and I wish to be addressed as such.

I tried out Chell's Mind. It was awful. Like, well, frankly, ever other mind series.

See, the reason Freeman's Mind does so well is that it's not just Ross commenting as he goes. He scripts it out, he sets things up as a film, and generally puts professional level work into it. Everyone else just cracks jokes as they go. That's LPing, dumbasses.

Actually, in the Meeting of the Minds 2, Ross says that it's about 75% addlibbing. So really he doesn't script everything out.

I thought Chell was pretty good though, it's hard you know to make up a personality for a character who has none. Being the first try, it was alright(I'm actually sort of scared to look up other Chell's minds, I heard some of them were made by guys :cry: )

I thought Chell was pretty good though, it's hard you know to make up a personality for a character who has none.
Going off the assumption that Chell really is a dangerous sociopath, this page from Lab Rat became a lot funnier to me.
Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"Am I a hero? Eh, I don't know... I don't think it's heroic if the only person you're saving is yourself."

- Gordon Freeman

Actually they do script parts of it out, just like Ross does.

Actually they do script parts of it out, just like Ross does.

I know, I'm just trying to point out that they all(The mind's as well as Chell's) are a mix of scripting and adlibbing just like Ross's is. They didn't just slam it together; they actually put thought it it

okay, Freeman's mind love it only thing that kinda bugged me, but doesn't really anymore is that Ross's voice doesn't quite match how you'd think Freeman would sound like. chell's mind was funny but cyanide made her a little to childlike, and shes been asleep for a year (lol). Barney's mind, the voice acting i didn't fall in love with by any means, case in point that "i'll kill you" line after the whole suuuucker thing was unfitting to his voice type making it to unnatural, it annoyed me to the point that i stopped watching it (first impressions mean everything to me, and he tried to hard to sound like Ross) and the rest i haven't watched enough to give a good critique on them.

barney's mind gets a lot better a few episodes in

actually, he remade the first two or three episodes

I began watching Freeman's-ish mind earlier today. Another one which is surprisingly good, very funny. I thought his accent sounded fake at first but apparently it's not, and after hearing it a bit more I don't see any problem with it.

My Little Pointy: Friendship Is Stabbing - http://i.imgur.com/Qz1bx.jpg

After playing Portal 2, I decided to re-watch Chell's Mind, but with this image in my head:

Chell_p2_portrait.jpg

off topic, but am I the only one a bit off put by Chell's expression? her eyes are always locked wide open in a sort of dear-in-headlights stare. I like her redesign, but the eyes look weird to me.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Chell_p2_portrait.jpg

off topic, but am I the only one a bit off put by Chell's expression? her eyes are always locked wide open in a sort of dear-in-headlights stare. I like her redesign, but the eyes look weird to me.

thats_the_joke.jpg?t=1272403278

- Gordon Freeman

Chell_p2_portrait.jpg

thats_the_joke.jpg?t=1272403278

YOU SUCK MCBAIN!

Frankly, I put down each mind sieries in a tier. For example.

Top Tier: Freeman's mind,

Great Tier: Barney's mind, Shephards mind,

Good tier:Felix's mind, Parker's mind

Decent tier:Declan's mind

Low tier:Jimmy's mind, all 3 bill's mind, and half of the mind sieries on youtube

But isn't it a bit sad to enjoy more watching other people play video games than just play them? Damn, I want my playthrough of Half Life to be as cool as Freeman's Mind.

When fortune is blind, be a guide-dog.

After Freeman's Mind, I'd have to say:

1) Shepherd's Mind

2) Harrison's Mind

3) Barney's Mind

(Bearing in mind these are the only other Mind series I have seen).

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

Low tier:Jimmy's mind, all 3 bill's mind, and half of the mind sieries on youtube

Like they say: Tiers R 4 Queers

Like they say: Tiers R 4 Queers

The allocation of a certain group to the category of "queers" is itself an application of a tier system.

Also, I watched Declan's mind up until about episode 16 before I realised that I wasn't interested in finding out what happened next. He has his funny moments and there is nothing particularly bad about the series, but he seems too much like an average guy rather than a comedian, and watching an average guy playing an average game just doesn't have enough entertainment value. I felt like I'd be better off playing it myself, except that the game itself wasn't particularly new or interesting either.

I'm sure he could improve if he spent a little more time writing it. It is a lot better than most of the other average mind clones, made by talentless teens with screechy voices, but it just doesn't have enough consistent humour to put it on par with the bigger minds.

My Little Pointy: Friendship Is Stabbing - http://i.imgur.com/Qz1bx.jpg

That's because he doesn't write anything. Oh yeah he may have jokes in mind, but when things spontaneously happen (like a grenade being thrown in his face for example) he just goes from whatever ramblings he was talking about to screaming. Plus, he takes A LOT of liberties with realism. Like the grenade thing, one time he was in an air vent and a grenade blew up not even feet away and all he had to say was, "Ow." Call me old fashioned, but I'd like to see some semblance of reality in these mind series, which is why I don't watch any stupid ones were fifteen year olds are playing soldiers or theoretical physicists.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I'm acually plannng on making a mind sieries, and I'm shooting for AT LEAST Declan's mind quality. Does anyone have tips or pointers that can help me?